Careers with UMN
UMN is currently seeking talented, motivated people for the following positions in the Greater Boston area.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and cover letter via email to:
Sue Karant, Union of Minority Neighborhoods at firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Staff application
The Union of Minority Neighborhoods (UMN) is seeking a dynamic, detail oriented, self-starter to work closely with the executive director, staff and volunteers in three areas:
- Administrative support
- Social media management, and
- Fundraising support
UMN is a politically well-connected organization. Our ‘alumni’ rise to high-level jobs in nonprofit, city, state, and even federal government. This is an excellent opportunity for a person who values an open, collaborative work environment and is interested in organizing, public policy, electoral politics, and nonprofits. The person hired would both be engaged in the work and ensure the office runs smoothly.
UMN, a social change organization, was founded and is run by people of color, committed to organizing and inspiring communities of color to mobilize on issues of concern within their respective communities. UMN currently has four full-time staff and three part-time staff. For more information, visit our 2 websites: www.unionofminorityneighborhoods.org and http://blackballotpower.com/
- Manage email traffic, social media, website and database.
- Keep website up to date as an intermediary between staff and webmaster
- Select a database, set it up and manage it (with help from a volunteer if needed)
- Maintain communication with constituents, donors, and coalition partners through social media and email. (Shared with Outreach Coordinator)
- Supervise volunteers, interns on social media
- Work with a consultant (writer) on all aspects of grants including research, LOIs, reports, budgets, proposals and getting letters of support and mail proposals as indicated by the funder. (Approved and signed by the executive director.) Work with management consultants on budgets.
- Coordinate fundraising events and house parties
- Write letters for year-end mailing, thank you notes. Coordinate direct mail and email.
- Work with a fundraising committee of volunteers for Roast to be held in November.
- Set up the on-going fundraising committee and manage
- Communication with funders and donors
- Write final and midterm reports to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts with our management consultants.
- Support organizing campaigns and assist as needed.
- Handle support work with our management consultants, such as info for audit, state contract
- Work with board to write agenda, attend board meetings and take notes
- Recruit volunteers as needed
- Extensive knowledge of various social media platforms: fb, Instagram, Twitter, et al and how to use them to publicize events and ideas and how to drive traffic to them.
- Use of Mailchimp and how to build a mailing list
- Experience in developing a website, particularly WordPress (this would be in conjunction with our web manager)
- Experience in video and video editing, not required but helpful.
- Comfortable writing thank you letters, press releases, media blurbs
- Flexible self-starter who can handle multiple tasks
$35,000+ depending on experience. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seek a diverse staff that is reflective of the community we serve.
Applicants are requested to send a cover letter and resume, to:
Sue Karant Email: email@example.com
Subject: Staff application
Deadline for application submission: June 30, 2020
Job starts in July or August depending on the pandemic.